enameled silver goblet with gemstones

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
getthatmonkeyoutofme

enameled silver goblet with gemstones

Post by getthatmonkeyoutofme »

This is my first post since a long time and please excuse my rusty English…
The height of this beauty is 19cm and it is partially enamelled and different stones are attached
At the foot turquoise I recognize and underneath the shell-shaped bowl probably grenade?
And at the front of the leg a rock crystal and on the sides peridot or tourmaline? I’m not sure about all this …the skirt of the lady shows remains of gilding

Is this a piece of historicism? I can not find a comparable piece although I have been trying for a long time…
What it is the function remains a mystery to me … salt bowl or caviar?

I’m not 100% sure if it’s of German origin. There are unfortunately no hallmarks at all but I'm quite sure it is silver
Can someone tell me if I am right with the origin. And help with the age and purpose....?
I would be happy if I could get a little help here
Thanks a lot
Yours monkey

Image Image Image Image
AG2012
contributor

Re: enameled silver goblet with gemstones

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
At 19 cm, the bowl is too small for any drinking vessel, so condiment or salt cellar is a reasonable option.
As for the country of origin, without marks it would be an impossible task.Figural salt cellars were popular in Victorian era and also made in Hanau in late 19th century.Finding matching pair is also an impossible task.Things like this were not mass produced.What's the chance to find the same or similar object from the same workshop after 150 years or so?
I suggest to test it electronically to determine silver content, i.e. standard, purity.
Regards
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

The piece is quite lovely. I believe you are correct in that it is historicism but that it is Austrian in origin rather than German. The Austrian pieces of historicism are more likely to be unmarked and to be bejeweled and enameled like this. And it is most likely a salt cellar inspired by the old renaissance salt cellars that could be very large and grand affairs, just Google the Cellini salt cellar for an example.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Right in regard of Austria (Vienna enamel) often marked with small A in a square or dog`s head in spite of ``bigger articles``.
B.Cellini was well known to educated people long time before Google.
Regards
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Sorry if my reply came off as snappy, it was not intended. I merely meant if you're already on your computer reading this post then googling something for a picture reference is much more convenient than reaching for a book. It was also only intended for those who are unfamiliar with his works. Again excuse the tone and wording of my post if it came off as rude.

Return to “German Silver”