dont know this mark Georgian Combination wax seal and holder

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blonde_minx

dont know this mark Georgian Combination wax seal and holder

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
i have this lovely Georgian combination wax seal and wax holder but i cant work out the assay mark, it ha a capital N for the date i believe and then a makers mark of something and |H and the assay mark i can work out at all, i say Georgian because it has an engraved date of A.D. 1808
if anyone could help work out the assay i would be so grateful.
Thanks Mandy

oel
co-admin

Re: dont know this mark Georgain Combination wax seal and holder

Post by oel »

In Dutch called " zilveren lakkoker" and indeed Schoonhoven town mark, the four lions rampant facing left
See Schoonhoven:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 028#p82869
The maker's mark, I believe to be, PH in a rectangle for: Pieter 't Hart, registered in Schoonhoven 1778- around 1791 (died)
Year letter N for: 1786

Peter.
Dendriet
contributor

Re: dont know this mark Georgain Combination wax seal and holder

Post by Dendriet »

oel wrote:
The maker's mark, I believe to be, PH in a rectangle for: Pieter 't Hart, registered in Schoonhoven 1778- around 1791 (died)
Year letter N for: 1786

Peter.

I remember the name Pieter in 't Hart in Schoonhoven.
Are we talking about the same person here?

Dendriet
oel
co-admin

Re: dont know this mark Georgian Combination wax seal and holder

Post by oel »

Reference; Dutch Goldsmiths' and silversmiths' marks and names prior to 1812 by Citroen mentioned PH for; Pieter 't Hart Schoonhoven 1788-1791.
Zilversmeden van de Stad Schoonhoven by S. A. C Begeer, E. Hak & L. Linhart-du Cloux mentioned PH for; Pieter 't Hart Schoonhoven 1778-1791, new guild member outside of province ( and city of Schoonhoven) paid f 60 guilders to become guild member city of Schoonhoven.
Pieter in 't Hart.You did not remember this name but have found the name spelled this way on the Net:
https://historischeverenigingschoonhove ... Regels.pdf
author Rene Kappers. He mentioned Pieter in 't Hart; Wh 121 1777-’78 Pieter in ’t Hart zijnde buijten deze provintie gebooren dus volgese de Nieuwe Gildewet de zomma f. 33.-.- or Pieter in ' t Hart born outside this province and according New Guild Rules paid the sum of 33.- guilders.

I believe 't Hart and in 't Hart are one and the same. Check your reference books when at home.

Peter.
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
Thank you both for the very interesting information, it is much appriciated as i would never have known the maker, year or country.
The wax im not sure if it is original but i have never seen sealing wax like this before, it has no wick, you heat the end up and rub it on your letter pressing your seal before it sets which is pretty fast
Thanks again to both of you for taking the time to solve my mystery

Best wishes
Mandy
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi

Ive been having a look at the link https://historischeverenigingschoonhove ... Regels.pdf ..author Rene Kappers
i have come across this also, he mentions ...

Pieter in ’t Hart betaalde evenals Kuijlenburg conform artikel 4 van de Magistraatskeur 33
gulden omdat zij beiden uit Nieuwpoort kwamen, hetgeen toen een geheel Hollandse stad
was
43. De opmerking bij de betaling van Pieter in ‘t Hart “buiten deze provintie geboren, dus
volgens de nieuwe gildewet” moet een abuis zijn. Pieter kwam wel uit Holland en hij betaalde
ook conform die Hollandse geboorteplaats 33 gulden.

Pieter in 't Hart, like Kuijlenburg, paid in accordance with Article 4 of the Magistrate's Choice 33
guilders because they both came from Nieuwpoort, which was then a completely Dutch city
used to be
43. The remark about the payment of Pieter in "t Hart" born outside this provision, so
according to the new guild law ”must be an error. Pieter was from Holland and he paid
also in accordance with that Dutch birthplace 33 guilders.

Mandy

Return to “Dutch Silver”