Silver lid on Danish ceramic base

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blueheron

Silver lid on Danish ceramic base

Post by blueheron »

This gun metal ceramic form was made by the pottery of the danish Jens Michael Andersen (1859-1931) Stylistically I thought the 800 silver top would be Georg Jensen but oddly I think it is instead a german maker. Can anyone identify this mark for me? Thank you.

Bahner
contributor

Re: Silver lid on Danish ceramic base

Post by Bahner »

Hello, looks indeed like a set of German marks, but we probably need a better close up of the marks on the right hand side of the 800. Regards, Bahner
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Ceramics by Michael Anderson can be found with silver mountings by several Danish silversmiths and silver platers (e.g. Cohr, Hans Hansen,Hugo Grün).
Your piece, bearing crescent and crown mark,is obviously German made.Later striking (remarking) of German Reichsmark on already mounted ceramic base is technically impossible.
Yes, close up of the marks are appreciated.
Regards
blueheron

Post by blueheron »

Hope this is better. Can't imagine them putting an early mark on it either, the pottery company is actually quite old. Thanks for your help. Image
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Compare second mark from right to Hanau Psuedo [s446b] for Schleissner & Sohne to see if you think its a match (scroll down): https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, that is Schleissner. Around 1928 Schleissner started using date letters on its modern/modernistic pieces. Have seen letters from a to e. The letters are in oldfashioned fractured script and were - I suppose - to resemble Britsh date letters. Not sure what I am seeing here, seems to be incompletely struck. Possibly an e ? Regards, Bahner
blueheron

Post by blueheron »

Thanks very much for your help, to all of you. It is a very beautiful piece and their craftsmanship and light plenishing was superb.

Return to “German Silver”