17th Century Hoorn Hoof Spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

17th Century Hoorn Hoof Spoon?

Post by legrandmogol »

I believe this spoon is from the city of Hoorn and the date letter is most likely for 1647. It is engraved IDA:G:1646. The city mark is partially obliterated. I believe the R is 1647 because the next time they used an R it would also have had the Dutch lion mark as well. I could be wrong of course. The maker's mark looks like a human head but I cannot find this mark in Citroen's book. I could be wrong about the city mark and/or I could be wrong about what the maker's mark is. Any help would be appreciated.

oel
co-admin

Re: 17th Century Hoorn Hoof Spoon?

Post by oel »

Yes, indeed early spoon. Town mark of Hoorn used during 17th century, year letter R for 1680, 2nd standard silver or "kleine keur" (833/00) hence the absent of the Dutch Lion. Maker's mark appears to be an axe and unidentified, Hoorn 1660-........
Source Citroen.
NB if 1600.... is not exactly correct time period, the year letter R could be for 1647 and 1st standard silver (934/000)

Peter.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thanks Peter. Sorry for my blurry pictures. I don't quite see an ax though. It looks more like a human head with either a scarf (moors head? blackamore?) in a Roman soldiers helmet. Sorry for my blurry pictures. I was also leaning towards 1647 since the spoon is engraved 1646 and is most likely a birth spoon. I am guessing the IDA is either a name more likely initials and the :G: is for "Geboren". If that's the case, 36 years seems a little long to wait to give someone a birth spoon. But as I only know about 3 Dutch words (Geboren, lepel & Zilver) my ability to guess what the G means is pretty limited lol.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Ida is a girls name. G for born (geboren) or perhaps married (getrouwd)
I leave the maker's mark for what it is ; unidentified.

Peter.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

My great grandmother's name was Ida. Thank for your help Peter. If in your research you ever come across anything let me know

Return to “Dutch Silver”