Caster with interesting maker/importer mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Caster with interesting maker/importer mark

Post by SilverK »

Hi,

The marks on this caster seem to indicate that it was imported into Holland in 1845. Can anyone identify the three-lobed mark which appears to depict three meteors! Was this the mark of the maker or the importer? I've examined the piece closely and the marks in the picture are all on the inner lip of the top removable section. The only other mark I can find on the whole object is another Dutch tax mark for imported silver stamped to the foot. The top fits the base tightly and so this, together with the overall composition of the design, makes me confident this is not a marriage.

As always, any help would be much appreciated.

Silverk.

oel
co-admin

Re: Caster with interesting maker/importer mark

Post by oel »

Hi,

Crowned V for large items; duty mark for foreign and other untaxed objects used 1814-1893. This duty mark does not give any guarantee of a precious metal standard of fineness. This mark has been used on metal with a 250 minimum silver content as a duty mark. This mark was destined for all imported, unmarked and invalid marked objects of foreign, national and unknown origin. The other three marks perhaps could be German or Dutch pseudo. See K.A. Citroen #647 lion rampant pseudo standard mark (many other variations), #490 pseudo maker's mark ('three-meteors'), three acorns, #200 L; pseudo year letter Amsterdam 1745, seen on sugar casters.
Will move you to other countries forum.

Peter.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Oel,

Thanks for that. Hopefully someone can enlighted me on the 'three-meteors' mark, if that is what the mark is supposed to represent.

Best regards,

Silverk.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

For comparison only;
Source K.A. Citroen Valse Zilvermerken in Nederland, drawings of marks, twice original size.
#200 pseudo year letter Amsterdam 1745 seen on sugar casters (used The Hague, Schoonhoven)

pseudo maker's mark of Jan Tadema, registered in Heerenveen, year 1664, seen on beakers,spoons, coffee pots and sauce boats, used Amsterdam

Peter.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Oel,

Thanks for persisting with this, however, the mark doesn't look like the one you have identified. Mine literally looks like comets in flight i.e three separate balls with tails, not interconnected in any way, the tails going in approximately the same direction - towards the top in my picture. Hopefully the attached picture helps.

Best,

Silverk.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Yes, it could well be other original marks, that is why I moved it to other countries. Let us wait and see.

Peter
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Interesting in that one "comet tail" turns in an opposite direction. With the tri-lobes not being equally shaped, you might also call it a hound face or fox head.

Return to “Other Countries”