Who is the maker of this miniature Dutch bureau?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Who is the maker of this miniature Dutch bureau?

Post by SilverK »

Being marked with what I think is 'VK' I initially thought that this little Dutch bureau box was made by J. M. van Kempen (in 1831). However, the city mark seems to indicate that it was assayed in Gouda (uncrowned, hence 2nd quality) and I'm not aware that van Kempen's silver was assayed there.

Would someone be kind enough to suggest who may have made it?

The second picture shows most of the marks on the box, the only other one (not shown) is the crowned 'O'.

Many thanks,

Silverk.

oel
co-admin

Re: Who is the maker of this miniature Dutch bureau?

Post by oel »

Hi silverk,

It is not a silver miniature toy but a loderein box or scent box. Shaped as a 18th century writing desk (Slant-Front Desk) and made in Gouda 18th century- early 19th century.
Gouda town mark/ city coat of arms is based on the family coat of arms of the knights/lords of ‘Heren van der Goude’ vertical bar flanked by three stars.Crowned for 1st standard silver and uncrowned for 2nd standard silver.
The year letter W for Gouda 1800. The Ax, a later duty mark (used 1853-1927), is attached to the year letter.
For Gouda see;
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 028#p80360

The maker's mark indeed VK in a square for: Nicolaas van Koomen, registered in Gouda 1793-1811.

Peter

Source; Gouds zilver, werk van Goudse zilversmeden (tot 1813) Stedelijk Musea, Gouda 5 juli t.m. 31 augustus 1980
SilverK
contributor

Re: Who is the maker of this miniature Dutch bureau?

Post by SilverK »

Brilliant! Thanks very much Peter. For once it's earlier than I thought, rather than later!

Silverk.

Return to “Dutch Silver”