location and number of hallmarks on Old Russian artifacts

Do not post mark questions here.
GiulyF

location and number of hallmarks on Old Russian artifacts

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all, large encyclopedic community,
According to this old post, I would like to know and learn, indicatively, if there was any unwritten rule on the position of the hallmarks on the piece, always in hidden and not very visible places? Is the fact that most of the pieces on the market are punched under the base an indication of spurious things? from 1896 to 1908 the hallmark of the city was not present because it was determined solely by the assayer present, with his initials, on the hallmark kokoshnik? again, what is the difference between dating 1908/1917-1927? Only that the Greek letters change to distinguish the districts? the head is always turned to the right with the Greek letter to its left specifying the place in both time brackets in question, so what changes in substance from 1917 to 1927, i.e. in the kokoshnik mark!??
I read somewhere that the main income for the Ovchinnikov brand came from mass production, a bit as if we were referring to Warhol, who sold a lot but above all to a middle class with lithographs and silkscreens, since very few could afford a job unique, if not one in series?
if you know old posts that talk about the know-how, the stylistic history of the major Russian fashion houses of the time, 19th/early 20th century, could you point them to me here? Together with studies and reflections on the precise iconography of the Pan-Slavic style!!!!!

This would be greatly appreciated!!!
Goldstein wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:44 pm Hi all -

The experience (if you have it) shows that companies or manufacturing brands were never attached to a prominent place, but always discreetly in unobtrusive places. If necessary, exposed parts were only stamped with a small checkmark. In the shown piece the underside of the stand is completely unmarked - this would normally be the place where one would find the full company name - there is enough space and it does not disturb the aesthetics of the object.
In the case of counterfeiting, it is always noticed that the stamps are clearly visible in the middle of the respective object - the inexperienced customer should immediately discover them. As the past shows this works very often - because of the many fakes which are in the trade, the eye has already become accustomed to this view and considers it correct. The opposite is the case!
A visit to the relevant museums or a well-stocked collections confirms these observations. Since meanwhile also reputable auction houses sell counterfeits (already there are several criminal proceedings because of fraud) it is always difficult for the layman to distinguish between genuine and false. Even in this forum there is already a certain uncertainty.Therefore, I recommend again and again: buy nothing of which you understands nothing!
Make yourself acquainted before buying - not afterwards!

Regards
Goldstein

Return to “General Questions”