Can somebody help identify this silver seal top spoon please?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AR_18

Can somebody help identify this silver seal top spoon please?

Post by AR_18 »

Hello All,

Sorry if I am posting under the wrong forum (I am new to this site). I would thoroughly appreciate any help with getting to know more about a silver seal top spoon I recently purchased; to be honest, it was an accidental auction purchase. I believe it is a 17th century silver seal top spoon. Please see the photos below. It lacks markings which, I believe, have been rubbed off, except for a maker's mark (supposedly an 'S') which I have not been able to trace to a maker's name. Apparently, one can use Jackson's Hallmarks guide to trace this maker's mark; unfortunately, I do not have this guide. The spoon is apparently c.1640.

I would really appreciate any replies regarding the identity of this spoon (e.g. the name of the maker and possibly the year of this spoon) . I nearly forgot to add that it also appears to have a family/house crest engraving on the underside of the bowl (so it is possibly provincial?). Any information regarding this crest will also be hugely appreciated.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Many Thanks
AR_18

Re: Can somebody help identify this silver seal top spoon please?

Post by AR_18 »

Here are more photos:

Many Thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Can somebody help identify this silver seal top spoon please?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Try taking a series of images of the mark, taken from different angles and in different light.

Trev.

Return to “London Hallmarks”