Unknown Hallmark on Giant Serving Utensils

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gardanni

Unknown Hallmark on Giant Serving Utensils

Post by gardanni »

Hi. I have searched this site and done various research to find the manufacturer and age of a pair of sterling serving utensils. Despite the fact that they are not particularly attractive, they are impressive - they measure 8.75", and together they weigh a hefty 230g. The hallmark shows the letter W in a circle, with lines radiating out of that circle (three lines from the left, two from the right). Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words, so please take a look. Does anyone know this one?

Many thanks.

Dan
gardanni

Re: Unknown Hallmark on Giant Serving Utensils

Post by gardanni »

I'm sorry, my link to the IMGUR images was stripped... Trying again with the individual image URLs.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Forum.

See Frank M. Whiting & Co. at:

https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_W4.html

and: https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57913

Trev.
gardanni

Post by gardanni »

Thanks Trev!
I had reviewed Whiting in my research (on the 925-1000.com site). I have worked with designers and know how they adhere to "style guides" when working with clients. Whiting's Ws are cartoony, and they seem to consistently have three 'things' radiating from the circle. Although that hallmark comes closest to what I have, these elements are completely off, leading me to doubt if it really the same producer - if I was Whiting, I would have fired the designer who strayed so far from my brand!

Anyway, unless you (or others) have further insights, I'll ascribe this to Whiting, and assume that the designer went on to pursue another career path!

Thanks again.

Dan
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Whiting, no doubt; well known and documented mark.
Regards

gardanni

Post by gardanni »

Thank you all!
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::::: Frank M. Whiting Lily Pattern, I found this mark on another salad serving set, maybe there was a problem with the die for the Lily Salad Serving set in particular? :::::: Never noticed this before. ::::::

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”