What is the Italian star mark. See image

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Peartree
contributor

What is the Italian star mark. See image

Post by Peartree »

I have an Italian silver piece with a radiating star mark. This is described on silvercollection.it but I don’t understand it! Can anyone clarify for me thanks. See image.

oel
co-admin

Re: What is the Italian star mark. See image

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum . Please show us some images of your silver piece and all its marks. Thanks.
Also see
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... mpiano+srl

Peter
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

The star mark is on this silver askos panther handled jug. See image. For those that know me well this is a second, slightly smaller one, to the one I have by Giacinto Melillo. The maker of this Askos is unknown - I think not Melillo. I now understand the star mark which would date the piece to c 1934 but I suspect it was made c 1900. The engraving reads “Roma” I believe, and 900 silver standard. All thoughts welcome on maker and date please, thank you.

Image Image
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Pear Tree
You said "I don't understand it"
Don't worry, you are not the only one, the law and above all the implementing regulation are not entirely clear.
Law 305 of 3 February 1934, in articles 21 and 22, establishes that already finished objects found at the manufacturers' premises can be sold without the new hallmarks within one year of the entry into force of the law and those found at the dealers' premises, within three years.
After this time they must have the mark that the implementing regulation represents as the "radiant star".
Of course, some of these items may have remained on retailers' shelves for many years, 30 years or even longer
It is therefore entirely possible that your askos is from the early 1900s
Regards
Amena
Peartree
contributor

Post by Peartree »

Thank you

Return to “Other Countries”