sommelier tastevin marking help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mouseinstalled45

sommelier tastevin marking help

Post by mouseinstalled45 »

Hello, can anyone help identify the marking on this sommelier tastevin? I assume it is french, but I could be wrong. What is the silver purity of this item? It looks like a four leaf clover and M 1, but I could be wrong.

JayT
contributor

Re: sommelier tastevin marking help

Post by JayT »

Hello
This is a tastevin produced for an association of wine lovers, Confrérie des Vignerons de Saint Vincent, founded in Macon in 1951, with chapters in France and internationally. They wear funny hats and red robes at their events. Officers wear a tastevin around their necks, suspended on a gold satin ribbon. A Google search will give you more info and photos.
Your tastevin is silver plate.
Regards.
mouseinstalled45

JayT wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:07 pm Hello
This is a tastevin produced for an association of wine lovers, Confrérie des Vignerons de Saint Vincent, founded in Macon in 1951, with chapters in France and internationally. They wear funny hats and red robes at their events. Officers wear a tastevin around their necks, suspended on a gold satin ribbon. A Google search will give you more info and photos.
Your tastevin is silver plate.
Regards.

Are you sure it’s silver plate? What makes you know it’s plated?
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
The French marking system is highly regulated and very precise. The mark you show is not a mark for 925, 950 or 800 standard silver, but rather for a silver plated object. A Minerva head punched in either an octagonal reserve (925 standard after 1972 or 950 standard before 1972) or barrel shaped reserve (800 standard silver) would indicate a silver object. Silver plated objects on the other hand are marked in a square or sometimes a rectangle. It is a question of reading the mark, so yes, I’m quite sure the tastevin is silver plated. What I don’t know is the name of the maker whose symbol appears to be a 4-leaf clover.Also the M1 indicates the thickness of the silver plating.
Regards
See
https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks2.html
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Silver-plate, the lack of any valid silver (hall)marks, and the maker's mark in a square cartouche. For French silver-plate marks see;
https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html
Also see:
https://www.silvercollection.it/FRENCHS ... MARKS.html

Peter.
mouseinstalled45

JayT wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:35 pm Hello
The French marking system is highly regulated and very precise. The mark you show is not a mark for 925, 950 or 800 standard silver, but rather for a silver plated object. A Minerva head punched in either an octagonal reserve (925 standard after 1972 or 950 standard before 1972) or barrel shaped reserve (800 standard silver) would indicate a silver object. Silver plated objects on the other hand are marked in a square or sometimes a rectangle. It is a question of reading the mark, so yes, I’m quite sure the tastevin is silver plated. What I don’t know is the name of the maker whose symbol appears to be a 4-leaf clover.Also the M1 indicates the thickness of the silver plating.
Regards
See
https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks2.html

Is it possible that it’s not French silver but some other type of silver?
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

No, not possible. Sorry to disappoint you.
Your tastevin is silverplate.
mouseinstalled45

JayT wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:42 pm No, not possible. Sorry to disappoint you.
Your tastevin is silverplate.
Only slightly disappointing. Thanks for the information!
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”