17th or 18th Century Rotterdam spoon?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

17th or 18th Century Rotterdam spoon?

Post by legrandmogol »

I just recently picked up a couple of Dutch spoons and I believe this one is from Rotterdam but I do not have any books about Rotterdam silver. I believe it dates from either 1676 or 1700. At first, I thought the piece was from Deventer but the bird mark is the maker's mark. If anyone can shed some further light on the spoon I would be appreciative.

oel
co-admin

Re: 17th or 18th Century Rotterdam spoon?

Post by oel »

Silver remembrance spoon, finial a security guard. Indeed the city hallmark of Rotterdam, the year letter O, looking at the shape of the shield, for 1676. The maker's mark is a flying (fluttering) bird (attributed) to Endert Entvogel. Active 1656- 1691. He was born in Denmark around 1623 and married Dirckje van Gladbeeck in Rotterdam on April 18, 1656. He was buried on April 15, 1691.
The other unlear mark is perhaps the provincial lion, standard mark silver 934/000. 

Source; N.I. Schadee Zilverschatten, drie eeuwen Rotterdams zilver, pagina 217 and J.W. Stolk, Goutsmit tot Rotterdam, page 88.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

thanks Peter! I'll look around for a copy of that book after the holidays
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Your welcome. The first book Zilverschatten shows an image of the maker's mark. The 2nd book, no images of maker's marks, description only and details about the smith's life and workperiod. In Dutch only.

Best,

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”