Looking for information on a Lawrence B Smith Tray

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hiddengold

Looking for information on a Lawrence B Smith Tray

Post by hiddengold »

Hi all!
I have a tray with stamps that seem to match those of the Lawrence B Smith co. I am from the Boston area, but the tray is stamped 1844 and the company was not established until the latter half of the 19th century. I. would love to learn more about this piece and it's authenticity, as well as how to best maintain it without damage if original. Would appreciate any information or direction.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Looking for information on a Lawrence B Smith Tray

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, your tray is the product of the firm Lawrence B. Smith Co. of Boston, however the '1844' mark does not refer to the date, but is an internal model/batch/order type number.

You will find many topics regarding safe cleaning and polishing of silverware here:

Silver Care / Techniques

Trev.
hiddengold

Post by hiddengold »

Thank you for the prompt response. The model/batch number makes much more sense.
I am assuming it is likely silver plate? ? The lack of a sterling stamp or any kind of alloy indicator (.999/925) makes me wonder if it is indeed silver or another material instead. I would also appreciate any resources regarding the company itself.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The marking is 'N.S' (Nickel Silver). It may, or may not, be silver plated, but definitely not solid silver.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”