Cute but mysterious Censer

Do not post mark questions here.
tux

Cute but mysterious Censer

Post by tux »

Probably the purchase of the year is this very cute censer.
I think it might be Spanish or Portuguese, I checked every mm with my loupe but found nothing...
Im sure its silver, I know it's a long shot but any info is welcome.

Bahner
contributor

Re: Cute but mysterious Censer

Post by Bahner »

Hello, what makes You think this is silver if it is unmarked ? It might be white metal ("German silver"). Regards Bahner
Juliopm

Post by Juliopm »

It's a reproduction of the Botafumeiro, you can find in the web many pictures of it. From Wikipedia: "it is a famous thurible used at the Santiago de Compostela Cathedral, in Spain. Its name comes from the Galician language, where botar means to eject, to throw away, to expel, and the Latin fume, meaning smoke. It is considered a symbol of both the cathedral and the city. The Botafumeiro is especially celebrated for its swinging motion during the Pilgrim's Mass and other solemn dates, where it can reach speeds of about 60 km/h. This ritual has been taking place since at least the 12th century".
tux

Post by tux »

Bahner wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:09 am Hello, what makes You think this is silver if it is unmarked ? It might be white metal ("German silver"). Regards Bahner
Many years of experience, Im trying to find out information I don't know yet
tux

Post by tux »

Juliopm wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:48 pm It's a reproduction of the Botafumeiro, you can find in the web many pictures of it. From Wikipedia: "it is a famous thurible used at the Santiago de Compostela Cathedral, in Spain. Its name comes from the Galician language, where botar means to eject, to throw away, to expel, and the Latin fume, meaning smoke. It is considered a symbol of both the cathedral and the city. The Botafumeiro is especially celebrated for its swinging motion during the Pilgrim's Mass and other solemn dates, where it can reach speeds of about 60 km/h. This ritual has been taking place since at least the 12th century".
Great! Thank you for the information, I have seen the video with the giant censer fly around in church, but I didnt realise it looks exately the same! With the shells and all on the side, maybe it's some kind of souvenir, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I know where to continue my search now. Appreciated
tux

Post by tux »

Update:
I just found one for sale on a website (Im not allowed to share the link here but it's exactely the same)
I asked the seller for hallmarks and extra information, as well as contacting Santiago de Compostela Cathedral for more information.
The original Botafumeiro of this type was made in 1971, so its not very old.
tux

Post by tux »

I contacted the Cathedral and got the reply that it was probably sold as a souvenir in the Cathedral at some point.
Current Botafumeiro was made in the 1970s but it was a replica of the one before that made in 1851.
Since both look the same there can't be put an age on it, either way I learned a lot more

Return to “General Questions”