French coffee pot

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
huszas76
contributor

French coffee pot

Post by huszas76 »

Hello friends!
Can anyone identify the maker of this empire coffee pot?

Image[/url

[url=https://postimg.cc/F1S7BY0K]Image

The number at the sides of the man's head is 12 or 72.
Thank you for your help!
Best regards!
Krisztián
bijoux.expert
contributor

Re: French coffee pot

Post by bijoux.expert »

Hello,
I can't identify the maker, it's rare to have just initials with no identifying symbol.
The assay office mark is most likely 12 for the Bouches de Rhone region, as I've never seen any silverware hallmarked in Versailles for that period.
If there's no dot under the 12, it would be from Marseilles, one dot is for Aix-en-Provence and two dots for Arles.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

If assay office number is 72, it could be for (département de l'Ourthe) Liège in Belgium . Lozenge with just initials in Liège between 1798-1809 are not uncommon. Although I could not find a proper Belgian match for I.T or IT in lozenge.

Peter.

Source; Walter van Dievoet, Algemeen repertorium van de edelsmeden en van de merken van edelsmeedwerk in België II 1798-1942, Liège.
bijoux.expert
contributor

Post by bijoux.expert »

Yes, you're right, I was looking in the wrong column for the assay office marks. It could well be Liège, as the 7 is very clear in the better photo, but the second number is still unclear.
And being from Belgium could explain why I can't find any trace of marker's mark IT in my French references.

Return to “French Silver”