Can you help with this

Bigmfdan

Re: Hallmark identify

Post by Bigmfdan »

Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: Mark Identify

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, welcome to the Forum. Sadly there does not appear to be a lot of information to go on with your spoon's marks and it appears the finial area is well worn. There are some "general" pictorial marks but no letters to suggest who may have been the maker. I am an English member of the Forum and the pictorial marks, the cross and the fleur-de-lys type mark, are often seen on early 19th century British "plated" spoons. That said your spoon's design reminds me of some 19th century USA spoons I have seen. I can only see 3 marks but are there any more? To the left of the cross mark, is that mark from damage? When it is possible, images of maker's marks show up better when taken in natural light compared to camera flash. The contrast is better with day light and often more can be deciphered. When a few more members have seen your images there may be some more suggestions.

Fishless
Bigmfdan

Post by Bigmfdan »

Bigmfdan

Post by Bigmfdan »

It's also very flimsy like coin silver
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello again Bigmfdan, the spoon's marks are better shown in these new images you have posted. To me they still look like pseudo hallmarks (false) that you find on early plated spoons. Here is an image of a set of said false hallmarks.

I note you say the spoon is flimsy, there has likely been some metal loss over time and use if you consider how worn the finial marks are. Also we do not know what alloy of metals was used to make the spoon in the first instance. Again it is still just my opinion and hopefully there will be some further comments from Forum members in time.

Fishless
Bigmfdan

Post by Bigmfdan »

Thank you

(admin edit - please start a new topic with images of your other item - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”