Oriental stand

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Oriental stand

Post by amena »

Hello everyone
I return to a topic from a few years ago whose images are deleted.
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... nd#p149588
Then, it was said that one of the two marks, I don't know which, meant pure silver.
In reality I had the opportunity to test the various parts of the object (with acid).
The alloy of the various parts is not the same and some would appear to be of an alloy rather lower than 800/1000.
This is an incorrect silversmith, or "pure silver" should be understood in a very broad sense?
Thanks for attention
Amena
shikiamondo
contributor

Re: Oriental stand

Post by shikiamondo »

Hi there,

As far as I am aware, China has no official assay system or regulations until 1989.

Kind Regards
shikiamondo
contributor

Post by shikiamondo »

shikiamondo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 am Hi there,

As far as I am aware, China has no official assay system or regulations until 1989.

Kind Regards
This also seems to be a localised Chinese silversmith who manufactured silver pieces in Thai, they possibly had continued to use the marks.

Hence depending on the individual Chinese retailer or maker, their geographic location and period in history, modern analysis of antique or vintage items may show a significant divergence between the actual marked fineness and the metallurgical assay, in either direction, higher or lower.
World Hallmarks v.2, P.76
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks sikiamondo, this explains why the various parts have different finenesses.
Regards
Amena
Ag999
contributor

Post by Ag999 »

This is indeed by a Chinese silversmith in Thailand, early to mid 20th C. The top two characters are likely either the retailer’s marks or the maker’s marks, and the lower two 足銀 mean pure silver, or ”full” silver”. Often these would have at least some Thai writing or numbers on them, as well as the Chinese characters, but not always. Have you checked thoroughly for any squiggly lettering? Also, Thai silver pieces, even old ones, are not reliably what they are stamped, so yes, there could easily be sections of low grade silver, and other sections of higher grade silver, on the same piece.

Return to “Far East”