Marks on an antique military whistle chain

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Bricoleur

Marks on an antique military whistle chain

Post by Bricoleur »

Hello, Wondering if anyone might have any info on this military whistle.
I think it is a belt whistle that has had the screws ground off so it can be worn as a necklace.
The marks on the clasp of the chain seems to be a lion, the letter P and 'L.BROS". There are no marks on the whistle itself. From a search through a list of marks it seems to be from Birmingham and possibly by Lewis Brothers.
Is this silver? When does it date from? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Bricoleur

Re: Marks on an antique military whistle chain

Post by Bricoleur »

Sorry, I'm struggling to upload photos to the post. Any help is appreciated
Bricoleur

Post by Bricoleur »

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

That "p" is the Birmingham date letter used on items below the dutiable limit for the assay year 1889/90. I suspect the clip is the only silver part as I would expect each chain link to have a lion passant and each part of the whistle to be hallmarked with at least a partial mark.

Phil
Bricoleur

Post by Bricoleur »

Thanks Phil, that's great information. That definitely makes sense. It might be a bit of a 'Frankenstein' piece I think. I've had it for about 20 years. I'd always thought it was just a curious costume piece until a friend asked to look at it recently searching for hallmarks as he thought it might be 'real'. Turns out maybe just the clasp is 'real'. I enjoy wearing it anyway. Thanks a lot for your help. All the best.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Birmingham Hallmarks”