Crowned V Mark on Spoon. Maker not Dutch?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Found
contributor

Crowned V Mark on Spoon. Maker not Dutch?

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, this is a teaspoon with beaded pattern decoration to its front edges. I would speculate it dates fron the first half of the 19th century.

I recognise only the crowned V mark and assume it is the multi-use "Dutch Import mark".

Maybe, if the crowned V mark was used on this spoon, as the mark for importation, it could be considered unfair to post the image in this Forum section to get information on the maker. I do not think the maker was Dutch but variously in the Forum there is information indicating other reasons for using a crowned V punch.
I know I will need to be really lucky to have maker of the spoon identified. The maker mark looks to be a "W" in a cartouche sloped on 1 side. It is a very odd mark, but is odd enough, hopefully, for some one to remember it if they have seen it before. Could the beaded decoration be informative? It is seen on British spoons, but how common was the use of it in Europe?

Hope there is some information gleanable for my spoon.

Fishless
oel
co-admin

Re: Crowned V Mark on Spoon. Maker not Dutch?

Post by oel »

Hi Fishless,

Crowned V for large items; duty mark for foreign and other untaxed objects used 1814-1893. This duty mark does not give any guarantee of a precious metal standard of fineness. This mark has been used on metal with a 250 minimum silver content as a duty mark. This mark was destined for all imported, unmarked and invalid marked objects of foreign, national and unknown origin. Upon the invalidation of the hallmarks of Louis Napoleon's kingdom of Holland and those of the French Empire in 1816, this mark also has been used as a tax free census mark.See:https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32028

Your spoon, maker's mark partly struck, unclear (?) perhaps region Groningen or region Friesland, late 18th-early 19th century.

Peter.
Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: Crowned V Mark on Spoon. Maker not Dutch?

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, a belated thank you, Peter, for your reply on my Dutch or other "parts" teaspoon.

Fishless

Return to “Dutch Silver”