New Eagle #20 Maker?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
salmoned
contributor

New Eagle #20 Maker?

Post by salmoned »

I hope this mark can be identified. Thank you!
terrdave

Post by terrdave »

Hi,
This is the mark of Plat-Mex S.A. (S.A. - Sociedad Anonima - Initials for "incorporated"). Plat-Mex is a manufacturer whose pieces were sold throughout Mexico. Mark: PLAT-MEX SA. Eagle number: 1 or 20. Under the 'new' identification system they use the registration number ME-15.
Best wishes, TD
salmoned
contributor

Post by salmoned »

Doesn't the 'E' imply the name starts with the letter E (for the new designator)? Thanks much for the ID!
salmoned
contributor

Post by salmoned »

Ooops, I have it - Empresa Plat-Mex S. A. If admin wants to add this to the Mexican marks list, please do.
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Salmoned and Terrdave-

I understand that the "M" is for Mexico city, but where did you come up with the E and Empresa?
salmoned
contributor

Post by salmoned »

I googled 'Plat-Mex S.A.' and found the company's website. It states they've been in business over 50 years (website created 2001) and their Mexico City address is provided.
terrdave

Post by terrdave »

Hi,
Hougart's book attributes the above mark to Plat-Mex S.A. (Eagle number: 1, 20), with a later registration number ME-15.

From 1980 to the present, the registration system is comprised of two letters, a hyphen, and then a number. The first letter identifies a location, i.e. "T" for Taxco or "M" for Mexico City. The second letter is the first letter of an individual's or company's first or last name. ME-15 identifies an individual or company registered in Mexico City, whose first or last name begins with an "E", and who is the 15th individual/company to be registered under the letter combination of "ME".

After reading salmoned's post, I also researched to see where Empresa came from.

There are two separate company profiles that come up: 1) Plat - Mex S.A. de C.V. and 2) Empresa Plat - Mex S.A. They have the same Mexico City address, but are listed as two separate companies.

In the Primary NAICS entry, it is noted Plat-Mex S.A. is "Jewelry Stores", while Empresa Plat-Mex S.A. is "Furniture Merchant Wholesalers".
In the Description entry, it is noted Plat-Mex S.A. is "Retail: Jewellery Mfr S.", while Empresa Plat-Mex S.A. is "Wholesale: Primary Metal Industries".

The profile of Empresa Plat-Mex S.A. gives a website, which states, "For over 50 years Platmex has been a leader in high quality jewelry and gift manufacturing." I also found a website where Empresa sells "stone bases for tables".

Perhaps Empresa Plat-Mex S.A. might be the successor to Plat-Mex S.A., and thus the registration number ME-15.

Although Hougart's newest book is copyright 2006, nothing is mentioned about Empresa.

Best wishes, TD
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

TD-

Thank you for clarifying this, I did the same thing and also Googled Empresa and came up with furniture, and metals, but without the benefit of Hougarts book. I was a little confused, much better now... thanks.

Regards- Byron
platmex

Re: New Eagle #20 Maker?

Post by platmex »

Hi there, I am the current Owner of Plat Mex of Empresa Plat Mex SA, some clarifications, we have been in the industry for over 60 years, located in Mexico City, NOT Taxco.

We currently specialize in the manufacturing of high-end jewelry in Platinum, gold and silver. We have, and always have manufactured with the highest standards and quality, using always the combination of state of the art technology and skilled craftsmanship. Our facility offers A to Z manufacturing from a napkin design to a finished item.

We currently have more than 1,200 different models and manufacture some of the pieces and collections of world renowned designers. If you want to learn more visit our website.

Be sure that, whenever you see the Name Empresa Plat Mex, PlatMex, Plat-Mex, platmx or any of our signature stamps or logo, you will get the best quality work possible.

Thank you,
Sincerely,

Lior Jacob
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Lior,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for updating the information. We have quite a few unanswered questions regarding Mexican silver, if you have the time and the inclination, we would be very grateful if you would share your knowledge.

Regards, Trev.
bourgeoiswanderlust

Post by bourgeoiswanderlust »

Just wanted to share a small Plat Mex item I bought just the other day to this thread.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Bourgeoiswanderlust,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for sharing this example of the work of Plat Mex with us.

Trev.
bourgeoiswanderlust

Post by bourgeoiswanderlust »

dognose wrote:Hi Bourgeoiswanderlust,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for sharing this example of the work of Plat Mex with us.

Trev.
Trev,

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to being part of the community.

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”