Morup Serving Spoon I.D. Help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Threebears

Morup Serving Spoon I.D. Help

Post by Threebears »

Hi ,
This spoon is marked C. or G. Morup . Any information on the history of the maker , years , state , ect. would be most helpful . I can not find any information on this maker any where.
Thanks for any help.
bellefield

Post by bellefield »

don't know if this helps any but Morup is a Danish name (or at least a danish design house of the 20th century) but that looks like a stylised letter D next to it then it could be the Dutch dating code for 1888, so maybe you may want to try on the Dutch or the Danish forums for a little more info?

Good luck fella, Jay
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Norwegian is also a strong possibility, but Dutch is not. A Dutch date letter would be there as part of a series of hallmarks, not as a stand alone.
Regards, Tom
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

It could be Danish - the marks look that way, but I cannot find C Morup.
can you get a be´tter picture of the town mark?
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Well, it's almost Danish. Technically it's German, though, from the city of Flensburg in Schleswig-Holstein, which lies just south of the Danish border and which is the center of the Danish national minority in Germany.

The Flensburg city mark here depicts a castle, taken from the city arms. The maker, C.MORUP, is Christian Mörup, who was, in fact, born in Randers, Denmark in 1815, the son of goldsmith Niels Back Mörup. He was probably trained there by his father, but he became a citizen of Flensburg in 1856 and was working there as a silversmith at least by 1858. He died in Flensburg in 1881. Two of his sons also became silversmiths: Johann Friedrich Christian Mörup (1849-1880) in Flensberg, and Christian Adolph Mörup (1873-1914) in nearby Tondern.

Return to “Other Countries”