los castillo hallmark????

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
roblyn7847

los castillo hallmark????

Post by roblyn7847 »

I am trying to find out what the plateado 27 is on the hallmark. The fish appear to be made of malachite....how would I find out if this is the stone? Also, how can I find out when this bowl was made?

roblyn7847

Post by roblyn7847 »

I am NOT doing well in adding the second picture or resizing them...what did I do wrong????
---------------------------------

Hi Roblyn,
Well, to begin with, it was not coded correctly - just go to your original post and click the edit button, you'll be able to see how it should have been done.
Secondly, your files were HUGE, each image was over 2 feet wide. More than any free host wants to accept and 8 inches wide is the max that you want to use for a forum post. You can't resize them here or at a photo host, you have to do that while they are files on your own computer. Use a photo program, adobe or something similar, to crop and resize your images before you upload them to the web.
If you haven't already, read How to Add Images

Hope this helps, Admin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roblyn,

The TA-01 number shows that it was made sometime after the late 1970's. It is the number allocated to Los Castillo by the Taxco assay office.
The 27 is the the design or pattern number.
Plateado, means plated, so the silver colored parts are not sterling.
The stone inlay is, most likely, pieces of chrysacola, not sure about the spelling, but the stone is a green similar to malachite and often has blue sections that look a bit like lapis. It was a popular choice of stone on Mexican inlay pieces.
Not absolutely sure, but it looks as if the fish is the pedestal of a bowl. Just judging from the base, it is a very nice example of Los Castillo work.

Regards, Tom
roblyn7847

Los Castillo hallmark???

Post by roblyn7847 »

Tom,
Thank you for your information. I ended up buying the little book of mexican silver trade and hallmarks. very helpful!!!!! I have since sold the bowl, now I'm very remorsefull that I did that.....sure do wish i still had it!!!!!!

Also, thanks for the instructions on downloading pics....sorry i took up soooooooo much room ;-(

Lynda

Return to “Mexican Silversmiths”