William Hutton Makers Mark?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
resurgent

William Hutton Makers Mark?

Post by resurgent »

Hey Gang! I am trying to figure out if this is William Hutton but if it is is it before the sons?
resurgent

Re: William Hutton Makers Mark?

Post by resurgent »

Ooops I forgot to mention more details on this piece. It's an ashtray in the diamond shape with a jack of diamonds etched onto it. Here are some more pictures but see above for the makers mark that I am trying to determine.

2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

I believe those marks were used by William Carr Hutton (1803 - 1865). His father was William Hutton (1774 - 1842).
William Carr worked for his father in Birmingham for several years. Two others sons, James and Joseph also worked for him.
In 1832 William Carr moved to Sheffield and set up his own firm. Became William Hutton & Sons in 1864 according to my references.
My guess on your marks is 1843 to 1864. The crossed arrows marks appeared in 1900.

resurgent

Post by resurgent »

Wow thank you. My next question is what does the .15 mean?
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Just a guess, the amount of silver plated onto the base metal.

Pat.
resurgent

Post by resurgent »

Ok thanks because I can't find another one like this anywhere though I'm sure there is a set.
resurgent

Post by resurgent »

Hey guys I am being told it's not an ashtray but a serving tray for fruit and nuts that people playing cards would use as they didn't really smoke cigarettes during this time. Any thoughts?
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

one can use ones things the way one chooses. And ashtray is prohibited / bad taste / politically uncorrect today.

Therefore many a good ashtray today becomes anything else - anything but an ashtray.
:-)
A Hutton descendant

Post by A Hutton descendant »

Triangle, open with curled sides # 33 Hutton ***
Hutton, Sheffield 1807
1831 Birmingham
Sheffield

*** denotes that the maker was involved in close plating.
In Chapmans’ Birmingham Directory, 1803, William Hutton is entered as a plater of 53, Park St. On the 19th November, 1807, he registered a mark at the Sheffield Assay Office which was used by the firm for well over one hundred years on close plated steel articles. A good example is represented in the first illustration (page 8) of F. Bradburys’ “History of Old Sheffield Plate”.
In Holders’ Birmingham Directory, 1809, William Hutton is entered as a plater with Cannon Street as his address, and in 1812 the directory enters Ryland and Hutton as manufacturers of plated steel articles in Paradise St.
There are copies of balance sheets dated 1811,1812 and 1813 of a partnership between William Hutton, John Ryland and James Ryland. Already, in 1803 the Birmingham Directory, John Ryland is entered as a plater of Paradise Street, and James Ryland as a plater of 29, New Street; also William Ryland and Sons, platers of 42, New Street.
From a family tree provided by the Ryland family, and through Mr. A. H. Westwood, Assay Master, Birmingham, it appears that John Ryland was born in 1773 and died in 1847, aged 74. James Ryland was born in 1777 and died in 1855, aged 78. There was a William Ryland born 1804, died 1877 (72), who was an important member of the Elkington staff. Arthur Ryland(born 1808, died 1877), solicitor of the Assay Office, drew up William Huttons’ will in 1841.
In 1815, the Birmingham Directory enters William Hutton as a manufacturer of various articles and gives a six line description of these; address- Paradise St.

“ Hutton, William. As manufacturer of various articles upon steel, viz: dessert knives and forks, fish, vegetable and butter knives, nutcracks, snuffers, skewers, cheese scoops, four pronged table and dessert forks, table, dessert and teaspoons, sallad and gravy spoons, soup and sauce ladles, asparagus tongs, grape scissors, &c, &c, and various other articles in imitation of silver, Paradise Street.”

In 1818-1820 Pigotts Council Directory, Hutton and Houghton, of Paradise St., are entered as manufacturers of plated articles. In 1821, William Hutton is entered as a plater of Fleet St. In 1823, “ William Hutton and Son, Platers” address given as 130 Great Charles St. In 1839 and 1841, William Hutton was still at Great Charles St., and this was his address when he died in 1842.

The above from Family records.
William Carr Hutton, Williams son moved to Sheffield in 1830 and started up the Hutton business there.

In the list of Hutton marks there is no image of the mark that really identifies Wm Hutton and Sons for todays collectors.
However, The marks WH - & - S - B - -P MPA(or B or C) occur only on plated articles.
BP is generally accepted to mean Brittania Plate, a form of nickel steel that was developed by Huttons as a better base for plating.
EH is the mark on solid silver that was used by James Edward Hutton, my Gt Gt Grandfather in his own right but within the business.
His brother Robert also had a mark on solid silver which was Rh in the same shape of shield.
The RH at the bottom may be for Robert but I have never been able to ascertain this for definite.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for posting this very interesting information. Do you have any more details that you could add at a later date? If so, I will start a seperate post in 'Contributors Notes' where these details will be more easily searched for those interested to search for in the future.

Regards Trev.
A Hutton descendant

Post by A Hutton descendant »

Good Morning Trev.
I do indeed have more information on the Hutton Silver and cutlery business.
If you want to post it elswhere that's fine.

Mike.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Mike,

A new topic 'William Hutton and Family' has been started in 'Contributors Notes' and can be found here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 988#p58988" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When time and the mood takes you, please add any details to this new topic. We look forward to reading your posts.

Regards Trev.
iris

Post by iris »

2209patrick wrote:Hello.

I believe those marks were used by William Carr Hutton (1803 - 1865). His father was William Hutton (1774 - 1842).
William Carr worked for his father in Birmingham for several years. Two others sons, James and Joseph also worked for him.
In 1832 William Carr moved to Sheffield and set up his own firm. Became William Hutton & Sons in 1864 according to my references.
My guess on your marks is 1843 to 1864. The crossed arrows marks appeared in 1900.

Hello, what's the meaning of the last letters MPA and the difference betwenn a-b-c?
Regards
Iris

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”