Persian inscription on oriental salver

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
NYCyokel

Persian inscription on oriental salver

Post by NYCyokel »

Hello, everyone. I came across an oriental silver salver with inscription at its bottom. The "strokes&dots" characters look like Persian language to me, but not sure. Anybody could kindly tell me what it says? Please see the image below (my first time to post image, hope it shows fine). Thank you.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1058822020 ... 5283772338
NYCyokel

Re: Persian inscription on oriental salver

Post by NYCyokel »

It does not look like a hallmark, I wonder if it is a silversmith's name, or some kind of presentation words. Could someone kindly tell me what language it is, so I can check with my fellow collectors who speak the language? Thank you.
SilverJordan

Post by SilverJordan »

Hello,

This is Arabic writing, possibly Farsi (Iranian). The First word on the right in Arabic say "I am"
Second word is not very clear. The word last to the left says something along the lines of "The scared".

Pretty sure it is not a hallmark.

Hope this helps...
NYCyokel

Post by NYCyokel »

SilverJordan wrote:Hello,

This is Arabic writing, possibly Farsi (Iranian). The First word on the right in Arabic say "I am"
Second word is not very clear. The word last to the left says something along the lines of "The scared".

Pretty sure it is not a hallmark.

Hope this helps...
Dear Jordan, thank you so much for your help. I am very grateful for the information you just provided. I have a friend from Syria, who is multilingual. He interpreted it similarly to what you did, he said it is in ancient Arabic, and the loose translation might be something like "fear to the one with power", very interesting inscription on an oriental salver. Thank you again.

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”