help with vintage chatelaine silver purse

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
modemgirlz

help with vintage chatelaine silver purse

Post by modemgirlz »

could someone help me with the marks on this purse. country, artists and date. Thank you very much
http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/16/purse_silver_015.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://img8.picsplace.to/img8/16/purse_silver_022.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only)
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

These are pseudo marks used in the late 19th/early 20th century by two firms in Hanau, Germany: Gebrüder Dingeldein and Karl Kurz. Gebrüder [=Brothers] Dingeldein were in business by 1870. In 1911, August Dingeldein married a daughter of Karl Kurz, who had left his father’s silver shop - Johann Siegmund Kurz & Co. — around 1900 to establish his own. At this time, Dingeldein inherited Kurz’s dies, patterns and pseudo-marks. Since the marks were used by both firms, there is no way to tell which made your piece, but it certainly dates around the first decade of the 20th century.

Incidentally, two of August Dingeldein’s sons moved to America, where both became prominent silversmiths: Otto Dingeldein of St. Louis and later Cape Girardeau, MO, and Karl Dingeldein of New Orleans.
modemgirlz

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Post by modemgirlz »

Blakstone,
YOU don't know how grateful I am. I have always wanted to know where this piece came from. I thought it was German, but wasn't sure. I did have one more question, is this piece sterling? what marks would indicate this is silver? Thank you so much again for taking the time to answer my question :)
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell the fineness by the marks. The German minimum fineness was .800, which was widely used on utilitarian objects such as this, which would take a good deal of wear. It's at least that, and my guess is precisely that.
modemgirlz

Purse

Post by modemgirlz »

Thank you so much once again Blackstone, You have been so kind as to help me with all these questions. I am just grateful to know where my purse came from and the history about it. Kristina

Return to “Other Countries”