Possible Egyptian Marks on gold ring? Need help identifying.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lammiepie

Possible Egyptian Marks on gold ring? Need help identifying.

Post by lammiepie »

I have hunted high and low to find out what the marks on the ring I have are. As I understand the left is the gold quality, the middle I am not sure about and the right is the date. On this ring it appears as a strange symbol on the left, a bird in the middle and some sort of scythe/sickle on the right. If you could help me identify these I would be very grateful.

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi, The mark on the left appears to be the purity mark for Cairo, this mark indicates the purity at 875-1000 their highest standard, I believe this mark was introduced in 1916 and is still used till the present day, sorry I cannot help with the other marks, regards Trev.
lammiepie

Post by lammiepie »

One out of three looks like it has been solve can anyone help with the others ?
dnl
contributor

Egyptian marks

Post by dnl »

Hi,
Trev is correct in that the marks are after 1916 and that the mark is probably Cairo but may be Beni Souef but the worn punch takes the detail out enough that one cannot be 100% positive, but the mark on the is not an 18k mark but a 12k mark. The Arabic characters, the number is read as a 1 and a 2, making it 12 carat. The hightest standard is 23 carat in Egypt, the lowest is 12 carat.
The center figure is the Ibis, the iconic bird for Egypt. It's stamp represents gold. Presently, the lotus palm is used for silver.
The third is a date character that I can only tell you that the use of the Arabic character was started in 1946.
In essence, your ring is 12k gold, made in Cario or Beni Souef after 1946.
(ref. Tardy)

Hope this helps!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I was gleaning my information from a German book, ( I am not a German speaker! ), I shall have to invest in a copy of Tardy's, thanks for the correction, thats the great thing about silver and gold hallmarks ,theres allways something new to learn.
Trev.
Lbores

Re: Possible Egyptian Marks on gold ring? Need help identify

Post by Lbores »

Hi, I bought this ring about 6 months ago, here in the US GA MINE HAS THE EXACT SAME MARKS ON IT AND I WAS WONDERING IF YOU NEW ANYTHING ABOUT THE STONE I BELIEVE IT IS A HUGE COLOR CHANGE GARNET MAYBE AROUND 6 ct ... If any can give me more info on this ring please let me know thanks...
athompson

Re: Possible Egyptian Marks on gold ring? Need help identifying.

Post by athompson »

i have the EXACT symbols on my ring the store said its spinel but it changes color like alexandrite
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

One prong needs to be pushed back over the stone. Use small pliers or ask a jeweler to do it. Otherwise you may lose the stone.
Regards
chilco

Post by chilco »

I was just given a ring very close to this one, same markings too. How could I post a pic?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Chilco,

Welcome to the forum, please start a new topic. How to embedded images/post pics see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42199

Oel.
ALEKS
contributor

Post by ALEKS »

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Aleks, very clear explanation, thank you very much for your contribution.

Regards,

Peter

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”