Swedish Wedding Chalis

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Brielle

Swedish Wedding Chalis

Post by Brielle »

From what I understand, this chalis has been in my family for generations. My mother was told that the hallmark was researched and authenticated by the Antique Silver Department of Marshall Fields & Co. in Chicago, in 1951.

The documents were lost and the information has been passed along "word of mouth" so I am uncertain of the true facts. The date of origin that keeps being passed along is 1621.

Can anyone please tell me a little about this little chalis?

Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

The picture is a bit blurry, but it seems clear that the date mark is Z2, which is 1806. The city mark looks like Gothenburg, a crowned G. The first mark is the "cat's paw", the Swedish control mark that was inaugerated in 1754. I can't make out the maker's mark.

So you were right not to trust the "oral tradition"! Most of this information is available at http://www.925-1000.com/Fsweden_Date_Code.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, by the way...

Why do you call it a wedding chalis?
Brielle

Post by Brielle »

Matulda wrote:Why do you call it a wedding chalis?
The cup has been handed down to the eldest male member of each generation upon their wedding day so thus we call it "the Wedding Chalis". The tradition dates back to before 1822.

If there is more someone can tell me that would be most helpful. Thanks!
Matulda
contributor

Post by Matulda »

Well, that explains it! I expected double monograms or something, but couldn’t find any.

If you could get a clearer picture of the maker’s mark, or transcribe it, I’m sure we can identify the maker as well.

As a curiosity: Gothenburg is the second largest city in Sweden, and since it’s located on the west coast of Sweden, it was the departure point for most of the Swedes who emigrated to the USA, mostly in the second half of the 19th century.

Return to “Scandinavian Silver”