Need help with hungarian hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Intercode

Need help with hungarian hallmark

Post by Intercode »

I aquired my grandmothers silver platter and cannot identify the hallmark.
I have found out that the head in what appears to be a flower is a hungarian mark which is likely as that is where she originated from, but if anyone could tell me dates or what the letters are etc. My grandmother is no longer with us to ask about it, so any info you could tell me would be great.

Thanks

SilverSurfer
contributor

Austria-Hungary Mark

Post by SilverSurfer »

As you expected, the hallmark appears to be that for .800 fine silver used in Austria-Hungary from 1886 to 1922 (see p.75 in Tardy). However, instead of the "P" to the right of the bust, I would expect a "3" to the left. However, the head shape with the crescent at the top and the shield shape (five lobes, no flat bottom) would point to this .800 fine mark. Sorry, but Tardy doesn't cover individual silvermith marks. Best of fortune in your search!

SS
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 'P' indicates that it was made in the city of Pest, the other half of Buda. I think the numerical mark may be just to the left of the ponytail on the back of Diana's head.
Tom
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

That is correct and the figure at the left of the ponytail. Should be 1 for 950 silver, 2 for 900 silver, 3 for 800 sliver and 4 for 750 silver.
i can also see the P but not the figure.

Return to “Other Countries”