Help Identifying Maker and Marks of Rose Design Silver Piece

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
pinkylaru

Help Identifying Maker and Marks of Rose Design Silver Piece

Post by pinkylaru »

Hello all, As you can tell from my wacky pasted photos this is my first time posting on this forum. I recently bought these lovely forks and spoons at an local auction. I have been unable to identify this pattern or maker anywhere. I can make out the 800 mark and a crown and moon mark. But it is the makers mark that I cannot make out on any of the pieces. I was hoping perhaps someone could identify the lovely pattern. You help is greatly appreciated.If you click on the thumnails they will link to larger photo. Thank you so much for your help.
Best Regards,
Darlene

ImageImage
Theoderich
contributor

Re: Help Identifying Maker and Marks of Rose Design Silver P

Post by Theoderich »

silverport
contributor

Maker's Mark of Rose Design could be Wilhelm Ludwig, Hanau

Post by silverport »

Hello

in picture: http://a.imagehost.org/view/0893/IMG_2781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shown maker's mark could be that of Wilhelm Ludwig, Hanau.

Look: http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards silverport
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, yes, that is Lang's mark. Best wishes, Bahner
silverport
contributor

Cutlery pattern «Rose 300» - made by Wilhelm Ludwig, Hanau

Post by silverport »

Hello

Researched and very excellent documented by Mrs. Johanna Gehrlein, in her recently published book «Rosen-Bestecke» (ISBN 978-3-9813273-0-4), pages 80, 82-83. Books illustrations be very detailed (quite more then 1000; I haven’t count yet) in colour, duotone and b/w. All Makers’ mark shown — if existed; some marks be shown there first time ever. Also if marks were bad struck they were shown and explained — contra indication of collector’s headache!

This pattern’s origin — of full range flatware; it has got the name «Rose 300» — is made 1950-1970 by Wilhelm Ludwig, Hanau, Germany; designed 1949 by Bernd Oehmichen, Director of «Hanauer Zeichenakademie» (Design Academy of Hanau).

Company’s mark (Look: http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is in the book shown on page 80; also a spoon as an example of pattern «Rose 300». On pages 82-83 pattern «Rose 300» be shown by early published folder; especially shown there additional items, like tea strainer, tart or cake and pastry server — I think all of these additional items, especially designed and very well done, would be collector’s X-mass dream! Start yours dream by to buy the book. Also if you don’t know German language — pictures be understood from prehistory time on!

Numbering is: Table spoon = 300, table fork = 301, table knife = 302, dessert spoon = 303, dessert fork = 304, dessert knife = 305, coffee spoon = 306, cake fork = 314, slim tart server = 317, broad tart server = 320, pastry server fop pierced = 318, pastry server fop semi pierced = 319, little sugar tongs = 335, sugar tongs medium size = 336, tea strainer with small rim of flowers = 338, tea strainer with small rim of flowers and broad handle = 339, tea strainer with pierced broad rim of flowers and broad handle = 340, tea strainer with broad rim of flowers and broad handle = 341.

«Rose 300» pattern made — at least — from 1950-1970 = 20 year by Wilhelm Ludwig; later on by their successors too? Sufficient objects for collectors dream and be come highlight in their collections.

Wilhelm Ludwig, Hanau, Germany; predecessor: Kaufmann & Ludwig, founded by Wilhelm Kaufmann and Wilhelm Ludwig in 1922; Wilhelm Ludwig segregated 1934 and founded Wilhelm Ludwig; 1934 new maker’s mark (as shown in «925-1000»): WL, combined with Hanau rafter’s shield. For reason of owner age, Wilhelm Ludwig ceased in 1970 and was taken over by Wilhelm Geist & Sohn, Hanau, Germany. Wilhelm Geist, founded in early 1930th, be came & Son after WWII. This latter mentioned company was ceased in 1992. Model ranges buy by J. Oswald Nachf., Freigericht-Neuses, Germany. Predecessor founded by Josef Oswald in 1938; Nachf. = successor from 1.4.1971 on; 1.4.2005 in 3rd generation. [History excerpt out of: ISBN 978-3-9813273-0-4].

Kind regards silverport
silverport
contributor

Cutlery with Roses pattern and their maker's mark

Post by silverport »

Hello again

Sorry, I've forgotten to give more information on above mentioned publication, with objects, their maker's mark and history.

You would find it in: http://www.rosen-bestecke.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind regards silverport
silverport
contributor

Wilhelm Ludwig's new maker's mark WL was in use from 1950 on

Post by silverport »

Hello, please allow a Correction!

Maker’s mark WL, combined with Hanau rafter’s shield, be came in use not 1934 (!) but from 1950 on.

With more patience I’ve study now more detailed Wilhelm Ludwig history. In the book above mentioned (ISBN 978-3-9813273-0-4) on page 74, pict. 3 is shown former maker’s mark of Wilhelm Ludwig, in use from 1934-1950, an Antique capital letter L without any frame.

From 1950 on Wilhelm Ludwig’s Corporate Design has changed and from 1950-1970 in use was maker’s mark WL, combined with Hanau rafter’s shield (page 74, pict. 4).

My guess isn’t sounded yet: Maybe new maker’s mark of Wilhelm Ludwig, new Corporate Design and pattern design of «Rose 300» could be created by the same artist in 1949: Bernd Oehmichen, Director of «Hanauer Zeichenakademie» (Design Academy of Hanau).

Kind regards silverport

Return to “German Silver”