Whiting coin silver pre-1860?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
WarrenKundis
contributor

Whiting coin silver pre-1860?

Post by WarrenKundis »

Whiting Manufacturing Company was founded in 1862 according to common knowledge. This pattern marked coin and an A appears to predate that year. Have also been unable to identify the pattern. Have also identified three different retailers associated with this pattern; G.H. Hull, Meyer and Graffe, Duhme Company, and Luke Kent. Does the capital letter A indicate weight?

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu19 ... o4-102.jpg

As you can see from the last image, the retailer's mark is only a partial. And yes despite my efforts the images are still coming out too large, my apologies.

Yours thoughts on this spoon would be much appreciated.
Warren
WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: Whiting coin silver pre-1860?

Post by WarrenKundis »

Hmmm, have attempted to resize these images before posting to under the 800X600 image size. They are not coming out that way. Any advise on how to further adjust them would be appreciated as well. Will wait to see how many eventually load before attempting to post further images.

W
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

silverly

Post by silverly »

I'm not going to be much help here, but I can say that Whiting's 1923 registration of your mark states that it had been in commercial use since 1868.

Also, it must be fair to say that once a design initiated, it will continue to be used as long as there is sufficient demand for it. "That's just my two cents."

By the way what is the retailers name on your spoon? It sort of looks familiar; I just can quite make it out.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Thanks Silverly appreciate the imput.

Now when you refer to the mark that has been in use since 1868, we are referring to the Whiting makers mark yes. And right once produced a pattern remained in use until retired.

Now, what is the name of that pattern? Had been speculating that the capital A next to coin refered to silver weight then as I just reviewed identified Whiting patterns such as 1907 Colonial A Engraved and Colonial B Engraved made me think that "COIN A" is possibly the pattern name. Am I making any sense?

Have not as yet identified a known retailer from that partial mark.

Any thoughts there?
W
silverly

Post by silverly »

Yes, I am referring to the Whiting trademark. I don't know what the "A" is about, but for myself, I take it as a mark for internal company use. Unfortunately, I cannot help with the pattern.

Worn as it is, if you'll take a stab at the retailers name, somebody might recognize it or be able to help identify it; the image just doesn't have the best angle and lighting to show it well enough for me to make it out.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

As with Silverly, the retailer's name looks vaguely familiar, but just can't quite make out enough of it - might help pin down the dating. That form was fairly common from right around the 1860s into the '80s-'90s, 'Coin' wasn't particularly common in the later part of that time frame, but it was still produced (so far as I know, 900/coin is still the second standard in the U.S.) Not where I can run through any references at the moment, but the pattern bears a striking resemblance to Duhme's 'No. 1' pattern, generally noted as introduced in 1869.

~Cheryl
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Cheryl,

Thank you so much, had read that about being referred to as Duhme's No. 1 pattern in a reference attached to another image. Would that mean that this particular pattern was produced by them or just marketed in their stores under their brand as it were?

Let me post a cropped turned and hopefully enhanced image of the retailer's mark to see if it's any easier to assertain. To the naked eye only the first letter was barely visible. Will also attempt to reshoot.

Thanks again to you both.
W
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

That appears to be the mark of Frederick Eynatten, Watchmaker, 13, South Washington, Peoria, Ill.

Source: 1861 Peoria City Directory

Trev.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Excellent Trev,

F EYNATTEN then it really matches up. Had been looking at the tops of those letters for the longest time then lists of known retailers.

Well done!
W
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Your piece is by Whiting, there are very slight differences in the pattern. Duhme was both a silver manufacturer and a retailer, they sold silver by other manufacturers as well as their own.

~Cheryl
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Excellent, anything you can add after you return home will add to information on this post for everyone's future reference.

Have a great weekend all!
Warren

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”