George III cow creamer missing makers mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rareTiffanysilver

George III cow creamer missing makers mark?

Post by rareTiffanysilver »

Hello,
I have about 10-15 years of experience collecting American silver and to a limited extent modern and victorian British silver and am confident in my collecting of these categories. I have no experience before the mid 1860s. I would like your opinion on a George III cow creamer that is missing a makers mark. The missing makers mark seems very suspicious to me as that would make it much harder to detect a fraud as you can't pinpoint and say this wasn't this makers style during this period of time. What are your thoughts, are these false hallmarks? Does this piece look appropriate for the time period? My research found me the more rounded dutch style George 3 cow creamers were popular but I found none other from this period similar to this one./Users/craig/Desktop/s-l1600-7.jpg/Users/craig/Desktop/s-l1600-5.jpg
rareTiffanysilver

Re: George III cow creamer missing makers mark?

Post by rareTiffanysilver »

ImageImageImage
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Remember to use the Preview feature.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
spooner

Post by spooner »

Authenticating an item involves looking at more than just its hallmarks. The design, craftsmanship, weight, and overall quality of a piece can also give you clues about its authenticity. It would be worth researching the characteristics of George III silver cow creamers more closely to see if your piece matches up.

Return to “London Hallmarks”