Imperial Russian Mark - identification question

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
curi0usJ3n

Imperial Russian Mark - identification question

Post by curi0usJ3n »

Hello, I originally posted this under the world gold hallmark section, and someone suggested that the Russian experts may be able to help point me in the right direction. I'd appreciate any guidance that you may be able to offer on reading this 56 AP mark:

The 56 mark is straightforward (14k equivalent), however I am at a loss of how to interpret the "AP". I believe this is the assayer's mark, and I've seen other examples attributed to either St. Petersburg assayer Alexander Romanov, Hall Inspector from 1899 - 1908, and also to an assayer from Astrakhan Assayer Anton Vasilijevitch Richter from 1899-1916.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts - I understand if this is an Assayer, it is difficult to say with certainty unless the maker mark can also be identified.

Here is a photo of the ring in question in case anyone is curious:

Thank you so much for your help!
Mart
contributor

Re: Imperial Russian Mark - identification question

Post by Mart »

Hello! Perhaps there is not "AР", but "AB". Then this is the Kiev region. Perhaps the owner of the workshop is Shmul Barzhansky "ШБ" (the brand is inverted). The period 1899-1904 ..
curi0usJ3n

Post by curi0usJ3n »

Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate your time! I have tried to get clearer pictures: Using a loupe it doesn't look like a B; could it be possible the is a Cyrillic AP, therefore AR in roman letters?

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: The two marks I assume are the assay mark and to the left of that is the makers mark (partially rubbed off) ::::::
::::: But should there be additional hallmarks? Should there be a Kokoshnik hallmark and a city mark for Kiev? :::::::
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

No kokoshnik here, too early. This mark was used before the kokoshnik was implemented. i.e. left looking with big figures 1899-> 1908. The assayer is Aleksandr Romanov (Cyrillic AP). Unfortunately the maker's mark is a smudge.
FYI!
Aleksandr Romanov never assayed in Kiev!
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Aguest wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:04 pm ::::: Should there be a Kokoshnik hallmark and a city mark for Kiev? :::::::
This type of state mark has been used since 1899. You see the product better, but I am not completely sure that the initials there are “AR” and not “AB”.
If there is "AР", then the region of St. Petersburg 1904-1908.
If there is “AB”, then the region of Kyiv 1899-1904.
There is a chance that it was made in Warsaw, but the chance is very, very small.
Good luck!

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”