Joseph Rodgers & Sons tea set

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
leanickless

Joseph Rodgers & Sons tea set

Post by leanickless »

This is a very interesting tea service is a mystery to me. The two of the elements (teapot, and creamer) are V-shaped and each is engraved with medallions with single-arm plumed ax insignia and the name Jamkhandi, a city in India. The hallmark indicates that it is a Joseph Rodgers & Sons but I have not been able to figure out the date... it has the letter V.

Does anyone know if Rodgers did work for India? For my own purposes, I would love it if this piece is from the 1940s although I am not holding my breath. I had an idea that this might be associated with the Second World War "V for Victory" campaign.

Any ideas, thoughts, guidance, greatly appreciated!Image[/img]
Image/img]
Image[/img]
leanickless

Re: Joseph Rodgers & Sons tea set

Post by leanickless »

This is a very interesting tea service is a mystery to me. The two of the elements (teapot, and creamer) are V-shaped and each is engraved with medallions with single-arm plumed ax insignia and the name Jamkhandi, a city in India. The hallmark indicates that it is a Joseph Rodgers & Sons but I have not been able to figure out the date... it has the letter V.

Does anyone know if Rodgers did work for India? For my own purposes, I would love it if this piece is from the 1940s although I am not holding my breath. I had an idea that this might be associated with the Second World War "V for Victory" campaign.

Any ideas, thoughts, guidance, greatly appreciated!Image
leanickless

Post by leanickless »

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This date letter v is for the assay year 1938/39 so it just pre-dates WW2. I can shed no light on the Indian connection.

Phil
leanickless

Post by leanickless »

thank you so much, Phil. I have been able to ascertain that the firm was doing business in India at that time.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you please post an image of the engraving?

Trev.
leanickless

Post by leanickless »

Here is an image of the engraving...

leanickless

Post by leanickless »

And realizing that the axe emblem is part of the Jamkhandi coat of arts and flag.

Return to “Sheffield Hallmarks”