Tongs Identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Tongs Identification

Post by silvermakersmarks »

A correspondent has asked if I can help identify the markings on a pair of tongs. I have started them in the European Silver section as my correspondent assures me that they have been tested as being solid silver.

Phil

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Tongs Identification

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi Phil, nice tongs, but...
Kindly ask the correspondent how it was tested (solid silver???). Probably by acid which isn't the most reliable test. Very similar punches are often seen on plated objects especially the "Gothic S" mark (first from left). Moreover, there is nothing in the row of marks indicating any official silver marks what I know of. In my opinion the tongs are plated (e.g. EPNS), but???
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I agree with Qrt.S. Although I do not recall seeing this mark before, I suspect this may be the mark of Elizabeth Sturges & Son of Birmingham. This business, run by Richard Ford Sturges (b.24-9-1808 d.13-11-1858) on behalf of his widowed mother (Ford being her maiden name), was the forerunner to the more well-known business styled under his name alone.

The second mark, sometimes used by platers, is thought to represent a pelt, an indicator of a 'skin' of silver. The mark on the extreme right likely being 'Stu/rges'.

Hopefully other members will share their thoughts.

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Thanks, Qrt.S and Trev. Electroplate was my immediate thought when seeing the marks for the first time. I will try to get an update on the testing method.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Apparently it was an acid test. Electroplate is looking very likely.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”