18th century Frisian spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

18th century Frisian spoon

Post by legrandmogol »

I have another mystery spoon with this other Frisian spoon. I assumed it was early 18th century but my book on Frisian silver has the mark as being from Bolsward silversmith Frans Arians Riemersma who worked between 1620 to 1674? This seems way too early for this style of spoon.

oel
co-admin

Re: 18th century Frisian spoon

Post by oel »

Silver birth spoon, the angel chaining the dragon, the finial shows an angel with a key in the right hand. In the left hand the angel has a chain with a dragon lying on his back.
AF in monogram/conjoined could be for the Leeuwarder Aene Feenstra, baptized on May 22, 1744, active 1775-1807. He also used the maker's mark Six-pointed star. Aene was married to Eduarina Oudendaal, in May 1767. He died on January 5, 1807.

Peter.

Source; Karel Citroen, Dutch goldsmiths'and silversmiths' marks and names prior to 1812, page 17
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thanks Peter. your guess is better than mine. How is Jan Schipper doing?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Unfortunately I do not know, I asked him by mail a few times how he was doing but got no reply.
In his book Frisian silver ornamental spoons from the 18th century, on page 57 we read; The angel who chains the dragon, specimens known from Workum, in one specimen the angel has wings. Due to its presence, this appears to be a somewhat earlier spoon, circa 1770; the wings are often missing in the somewhat later examples. Page 58, we see an example of this spoon with an angel without wings, made by Frans Wiebes Algra, working in Workum circa 1750-died 1781. I believe your spoon to be around last quarter 18th century.

Return to “Dutch Silver”