Are these Irish marks?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AllSeasons

Are these Irish marks?

Post by AllSeasons »

I'm stumped by these marks. Are they Irish? I can maybe make out the Dublin mark, but cannot be sure at all if the other one is a harp. Also, any thoughts on the maker "CGH"? An image of the marks is below. Thank you in advance!

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Are these Irish marks?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

London, not Irish. This is a Britannia standard hallmark with the maker's/sponsor's mark of Charles Stuart Harris and the date letter d for 1899/1900. Britannia standard is 958/1000 rather than sterling's 925/1000 and is marked here with the leopard's head erased mark for London together with the figure of Britannia. "Erased" in heraldic terms means cut off at the neck.

Phil
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you, silvermakersmarks! Exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I also mistook the "S" for a "G", LOL!
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Not sure what has happened to make the S look like a G but I suspect it's overstamped on something ending with G.
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Now that I am in possession of the item, thought I'd post a picture of the item, as well. As you can see, it's a good-sized sugar caster. I also took a closer look at the "S" in "CSH", it does look like it may have been overstamped, or it may be damage. The other "CSH" on the inside of the top is very clear, though. Thanks again!

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”