Need help on mystery silver cigarette case - Crown mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dwma

Need help on mystery silver cigarette case - Crown mark

Post by dwma »

20th Century silver cigarette case, tiny little marks. Looks like a crown, a "WS", and two other marks (including the silver content) that are too mushed to read. Any thoughts appreciated.
oel
co-admin

Re: Need help on mystery silver cigarette case - Crown mark

Post by oel »

Art Deco silver cigarette case. Perhaps it is a shield with core image of the Crown ( 5 pearls) of Stefan the Great, a late 15th century prince of Moldavia, 2nd standard domestic silver hallmark of Romania 1926-1937. There supposed to be two standard notches in de right lower side of the frame for silver minimum 800 or higher. The 1 st standard in Romania is 950. Hence the fineness mark 925, below 1st standard, above 2nd standard of Romania.
During the period of 1937 to 1955, the standard notches were moved to the top left edge of the hallmark.
Romania is one of the few countries that has used over time, three different methods of assay office identification. These a letters to indicate the city location of assay office, a number that represents either city or province of the assay office, or a two-digit number of the actual individual assayer who tested and hallmarked the item. The location of these marks are under the crown. The other marks perhaps maker's mark and mark of importer?

Peter.
Source; World Hallmarks Volume I Europe 19th to 21st centuries, William B. Whetstone, Danusia V. Niklewicz Lindy L. Matula, page 232
dwma

Re: Need help on mystery silver cigarette case - Crown mark

Post by dwma »

Looks like mine is 800 silver, 1937-1949. I see two little marks above the crown in the rounded triangle. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Other Countries”