Silver bowl, 18th century? No clear marks.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Vantlicht

Silver bowl, 18th century? No clear marks.

Post by Vantlicht »

I have another challenge. This bowl is marked with a G and the tax dolphin. Furthermore with a really smal star (5 sides) and another mark which is unclear to me. I never saw such marks on a silver cream bowl (roomkom). What could it be?

oel
co-admin

Re: Silver bowl, 18th century? No clear marks.

Post by oel »

The Dolphin mark
The Dutch dolphin mark; the 1859 duty mark for new unguaranteed objects of national origin. This mark was used on all new silver objects below the legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and on new heavily gold or silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at the lowest standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or unguaranteed marking. This mark was sometimes also mistakenly used on old and foreign objects. Dolphin mark used from 1859-1893 and valid from 1859 till 1953.

Th​e small 5 pointed star in a circular shield is the Dutch below legal standard mark of fineness star, introduced circa 1957. Used circa 1957-1980, in the mentioned period this mark was struck on objects below legal standards of fineness which were submitted or found in the trade.
The G mark and unclear mark are most likely pseudo marks.

Peter.

Source; Netherlands' Responsibility marks from 1797 Waarborg Gouda, edition 2009.
Vantlicht

Re: Silver bowl, 18th century? No clear marks.

Post by Vantlicht »

Thanks!

Return to “Dutch Silver”