Need help with this silver bowl's hallmarks please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bijoux.expert
contributor

Re: Need help with this silver bowl's hallmarks please

Post by bijoux.expert »

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me identify the maker of this well-made French silver bowl, gilded inside. Hallmarks for Paris 1809-1819, the maker's mark seems to have a bird above the letters J F which in turn are above a tower.
Any help is appreciated.

Dear administrator,
Can you please delete the previous unsuccessful posts and just leave this one? I found that the problem was inserting the IMGUR forum link in between the prompts that INSERT IMAGE generates. This makes [img] appear twice on the left and twice on the right. Apparently one shouldn't use the insert image function.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Jacques Henri Fauconnier

Born: 1 Mar 1779, Longwy, Moselle (now Meurthe-et-Moselle), son of Jacques Francois Fauconnier & Marie-Josephe Tissier Martigny
Married: 31 Jul 1809, Paris, Esprit Celeste Adelaide Gaultier
Died: 12 Jan 1839, Paris, old 10th arr.

Arminjon [I:1750] has his mark as a largeworker - JF with a falcon (no mention of the tower below) - registered at 58 rue du Bac, Passage Ste. Marie in 1809 and cancelled 1859 at this death. This latter is clearly an error (probably typographical); Fauconnier died in 1839 as confirmed by his death certificate and probate record.
bijoux.expert
contributor

Post by bijoux.expert »

Terrific, thanks for that !
Yes, the references on maker's marks are full of errors and missing marks, but gradually as time goes by and authors seek advice from those that have annotated their books, things get better. My books are full of annotations and Postits !

Return to “French Silver”