Dessert forks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

Dessert forks

Post by amena »

Good morning friends
Today I saw on the website of an auction house, this set of cutlery defined as "18th century dessert cutlery" because they are only 18 cm long.
The mark would have been identified as belonging to an "unidentified Leeuwarden 1711-1746"
I had never seen such old "dessert" cutlery before, so I ask you if anyone can give me more information about it
Thanks for your attention
Amena
oel
co-admin

Re: Dessert forks

Post by oel »

Forks 18 cm are also called diner (small) forks.

The forks, maker's mark only, monogram HL( without serif's) conjoined in rectangle.
Citroen, indeed mentions a HL for an unknown silversmith active in Leeuwarden 1711-1746 . However https://www.zilverstudie.nl/ Jan Schipper mentions; HL (with serif's) conjoined in circular frame for Henricus Ludinga, Leeuwarden year-letter for 1714 and for 1724. Frisian guild silver below 1st standard 934/000, no town mark, no year letter and maker's mark only. Silver fineness around 875/000.
We also can find HL (without Serif's) conjoined in a rectangle for Hermannus Langelo, registered in Zuidbroek in the province of Groningen, 1807-1826. It is not unusual to see Groningen silver with only a master mark. Certainly not in the time period 1795-1813, during the French occupation.

Peter.

Source; Karel Citroen, Dutch Goldsmiths and silversmiths marks and names prior to 1812. Jan-Pierre van Rijen, Groninger keur Zilver uit Stad en Ommelanden. Jan Schipper Zilverstudie.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks Peter for your reply.
From what you say, it is possible that this cutlery is from the early 19th century, and the style of the forks matches this date.
Also some marks seem HC rather than HL.
The small mark indicated by the arrow, can give us some more clues to define a date?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Armena,
The small mark is a script -letter I
The script-letter I used 1906-1953; Duty mark for unguaranteed standard of fineness new silver objects of national origin. This mark was used on all new Netherlands silver objects below legal standard of fineness, those with non-precious metal additions, and new heavily silver plated objects, as long as the average precious metal content after melting with the base metal was at least 250/1000. It was also struck on rejected objects which had been submitted at lowest legal standard of fineness. In that case the maker had to choose between destruction or unguaranteed marking. This mark was sometimes mistakenly used on old and foreign objects and in 1927 also used on objects of old national origin. Valid from 1906 till 1953.
See; viewtopic.php?t=32028
In my opinion the maker's mark is HL conjoined and not HC conjoined. I checked for HC conjoined however no match.

Peter.

Source; WaarborgHolland and Karel Citroen Dutch goldsmiths and silversmiths marks and names prior to 1812
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Peter
so we can't have any certain date from the punching.
In these cases I prefer to give up.
Thanks for your help
Amena

Return to “Dutch Silver”